Project 2 – Character “YOU”

For the final introduction to 3D modeling assignment, we were tasked with creating a character through Maya and UV mapping it. My goal starting out was to make a fantasy RPG – Type character.

To start, I drew out my character in a T-Pose Position. I wanted some realism to the character, so I decided to draw it first without clothing, and then with clothing on. I also drew the top portion of the arm to help with modeling down the line. These drawings can be seen below:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Drawing the character not only in different views, but with and without clothing turned out to be very helpful down the road in the modeling process. As you can see below, I set up image planes in maya and aligned both versions of the character for reference while modeling:

Reference 2aahhhh

Having the anatomy set up in my drawing helped me to get some accurate modeling for the head and torso. Moving forward, I did remove some of the armor that can be seen in the clothed version of the character, this was in order to spend more time focusing on the basics of modeling anatomy.

As the mass was finished, I UV mapped different textures to the head, torso, pants, and accessories:

Belt Example

I utilized the solidangle website to get presets for the gold texture they provided. This helped me create the fantisiful looking belt buckle. I also utilized fabric and silk textures for the belt and pants. For the blue skin, I utilized some sub surface scattering and slight bump mapping to add a subtle texture.




I added a face from google image, and used Photoshop to create the same blue hue adjustment to match the rest of the body. I also selected the faces in the eyes to create an emissive blue texture to add to that elemental feeling of the character from the original concept sketches. I also used the same gold texture technique on his earrings.



Below you can see the turn table render created as the final product on vimeo:



Posted in 3D Modeling, Maya, Uncategorized | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Wood Type

In order to replicate the texture of wood, I utilized two different textures for the exterior and interior faces of the text. To create the illusion of bark around the text, I added a bevel to the type and extruded it forward so that it was bumped out higher than the inner tree ring texture. Also the typeface I used helped to create a bumpier surface, along with a gaussian bump map. For the front face, I added a tree ring texture and applied it separately to each letter so the ring texture looked more natural, and circled around the “o” s in wood.

Wood Render

Posted in 3D Modeling, Maya, Uncategorized | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Skin Text

For this exercise, I set out to reflect the texture of skin through the use of both sub surface scattering and bump mapping. I used a directional light for the overall lighting of the scene, as well as two area lights to back light the text in order to showcase the sub surface scattering a bit better.

Skin Render

Posted in 3D Modeling, Maya | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Metal Quiz

For this quiz I wanted to try to replicate the  appearance of a rusted tin roof with the lettering being more rusted over to appear better on the roof. I added an HDRI file to the skydome to simulate a night sky in a field, and used a directional light to replicate moonlight on the metal roof.


Posted in 3D Modeling, Maya, Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Rock Text

This exercise helped to showcase how to apply a rock-like texture to a standard surface, scale/UV map them to different surfaces on the typeface, and use bump mapping to help create a more realistic material texture. I thought Rockwell was a fitting font choice for this quiz, and utilized the atmosphere in the render setting to give a slight change to how the light is interacting with the objects, almost as if someone was in a cave.

Rock Quiz


Posted in 3D Modeling, Maya, Non-time Based | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

3D Type – Glass

The first of several exercises where we are experimenting with a material applied to a 3D text. In this example, I made the word glass out of a glass-like material. I changed the specular, transparency, and sub surface scattering to get a different effect on the interior of the typeface. I also used photometric lighting to light from above, and light linked two other lights to just the text to help illuminate the rendering.

Glass v2

Posted in 3D Modeling, Maya | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Renaissance Anarchist – Maya Room Rendering

Following the mood board for a Renaissance Anarchist, I began modeling a room based on those researched styles. My intention was to create a stylized room that was only slightly effected by the anarchist. To let the anarchist element create an uneasy ripple in an otherwise very ornamented room. The anarchist flag acts as that element, slightly effecting one element in the room, the chandelier, that ripples and ends up effecting the overall lighting and intensity of the room.

Below are my first process renderings, then the final rendering following the in-class critique. The critique was mainly to find a balance between my the dark version of the scene and the light version, as well as try to add some texture to the back walls where the light is hitting to add more realism.

Process Renderings:

Back Walls Enabled – Room V2

Back Walls Hidden –Room V1

Final Rendering:

Rendering v2

Posted in Maya, Photoshop, Uncategorized | Tagged , , | Leave a comment